Fire analyst in Catalan Fire-Fighters Department,
GRAF- DGPEIS, Spain
Who will be interested in this product and why?
Managers of forest fires (planners of landscape, etc...), in short, the target groups who are directly and indirectly involved in fire management can be interested in this product.
What are the innovative features?
The guidelines are the key to make society and operational groups act in concert with the aid of science. In the guidelines useful information are given from the operational and from fire suppression departments’ point of views about the use of fire.
How does it serve the European cause with respect to the philosophy of Fire Paradox?
We have to learn to coexist with fire and the innovative aspects of this product lie in the philosophy according to which we try to anticipate its presence. These handbooks give us an insight of how fire fighters master wild fires.
These guidelines are for selected target groups who are directly and indirectly involved in fire management and they enlighten key aspects to implement successful suppression fire. These materials are in handbooks’ format:
• Handbook to adapt forest management criteria (Fire as a part of the ecosystem; Fire spread patterns and Management actions).
• Handbook to adapt the fire service organization (Lower decision level, ICS, HRO, WUI operations; Continuous training tools; PB and exchanges).
• Handbook which gives priority to self-protection issues and combine basic suppression fire operations (Types of WUI, Piro-gardening and others, Events sequence during entrapments and case study and Neighbours meetings).
These guidelines are a selection of the best practices and lessons learned to successfully implement suppression fire.
- Draft guidelines on fire management in forestry planning available;
- End-users workshop 1: fire management in forestry planning and in prevention measures. Meeting of experts and validation of the guide;
- Draft version of guidelines on incorporating fire management in self protection;
- Draft version of guidelines on structural set-up for addressing large fires and applying fire management practices available;
- Draft version of guidelines on cultural perceptions and public awareness towards integrated fire management available.
- End-users Workshop 4: cultural perceptions and public awareness towards integrated fire management;
- Guidelines on fire management in forestry planning delivered;
- End-users Workshop 2 and 3: fire services’ structural set-up for addressing large fires AND fire management practices and self-protection;
- Guidelines on cultural perceptions and public awareness delivered;
- Guideline on incorporating fire management in self protection delivered;
- Guideline on fire services’ structural set-up for addressing large fires delivered;
- Guideline on fire use during suppression; explaining to society;
- Edition, publication and dissemination of the guideline on fire management in forestry planning (January 2010);
- Edition, publication and dissemination of the other three guidelines (March 2010).
Target Oriented Guidelines for Fire Management and Suppression Fires
Target Oriented Guidelines for Fire Management and Suppression Fires - http//www.fireparadox.org
Online Multimedia Plateform : Prototype