PhD at University of California, Berkeley
Professor / Researcher at University of Lleida, Spain
Who will be interested in this product and why?
Forest managers, wildlife managers, wildland fire managers, fire-fighters, primary and secondary school teachers, policy makers, forest owners and researchers
What are the innovative features?
This is the first time that there will be a comprehensive set of well-documented prescribed burning sites across Europe (and beyond, in countries such as Argentina, South-Africa and Mongolia), and to make this available to be downloaded from the Fire Intuition web site.
How does it serve the European cause and promotes the philosophy of Fire Paradox?
These demonstrations sites do serve the philosophy of Fire Paradox. In my opinion, they help to prove that integrated fire management is the right way to go by means of displaying successful fire history in which the wise use of fire has resulted in a ”green” forest restoration result. The outcome of this is that forests where these actions were applied are either more resistant to wildfires, created a more diverse species composition, they created improved habitat for some rare mammals or birds, or provided more edible grasses.
The product provides the basis for training fire professionals in the wise use of fire for multiple purposes (wildland fire prevention, forest restoration, grazing management, wildlife habitat, and wildland fire prevention in the Wildland Urban Interface).
The objectives of these demonstration sites are:
- to document the most successful stories in relation to prescribed burning-use,
- to allow fire professionals and the general public to benefit from this,
- to enhance technology transfer (know-how),
- to have this material ready for both academic and fire professional training-use,
- to feed the “Fire Intuition” platform,
- to access data and information to the "set of regional PB demos sites",
- to share successful experiences in PB activities,
- to promote the wise use of fire (fire-use enhancement).
Here the main innovation consists of highlighting the mechanisms of the wise use of fire to reach specific management goals in different regions, by means of Web pages, Web-base screening, conferences, lectures, workshops, and training modules.
Set of regional Prescribed Burning Demonstrations Sites - http//www.fireparadox.org
Online Multimedia Plateform : Prototype