PhD at University of California, Berkeley
Professor / Researcher at University of Lleida, Spain
Who will be interested in this product and why?
Forestry degree holders, firefighter managers (from forestry or non-forestry background) and wildland managers will be interested in this product. Because wildland fire issues are becoming major topics and so far many people do feel not properly educated in this field that do provide job opportunities for them.
What are the innovative features?
Very updated materials, which are available both in English and Spanish, and there will be a wildland fire spread computer simulation training. Our approach is based on underlined mechanisms (not just superficial patterns) to both fire behaviour and analysis, and to job hazard mitigation hazards. It is a truely shared experience from different regions (USA, Argentina, Europe, North Africa) and from fire managers to fire scientists.
How does it serve the European cause and promotes the philosophy of Fire Paradox?
Learning and training are a major toll to change as they are of course linked to sound (innovative and revisited) knowledge and demonstration actions. All this aspects are linked in our Fire Paradox project.
Indeed, the objective of this product is to enhance wildland fire professionals’ abilities to solve the "Fire Paradox". It includes modules such as Principles of Wildland Fire Science and Management, Wildland Fire Control: A basic course. Wildland Fire Behavior Analysis - Fire Spread Simulations & Wildland Fire Management, Fire Ecology and Fire Management (with the emphasis on Prescribed Burning) – a joint venture with partners and Personnel Hazard Mitigation. Firstly, its main domain is academic training and secondly, on-line demonstration items towards fire managers and public policy-makers. Its targets are mostly university degree holders: forest managers, wildland fire professionals, research & educational institutions, landowners, policy-makers, research, consultancy and fire management personnel. The Wildland Fire Science and Management degree holders will be able to explain the role of fire prevention on a community-based strategy for fire protection and emergency management and analyse the legal implications in the use of fire in fire-fighting among other aptitudes.
Some on-line courses are implemented, and an open, distance, learning system environment is developed by producing modular resources for academic and professional training.
The system shares and puts together most knowledge available in different research and education institutions within the Fire Paradox consortium and makes available outstanding feedback from end-users (forest fire managers) within the Fire Paradox Consortium. Its main transfer modes are books and e-learning (on-line training modules).
Hereunder is the proposal for the university level training course: Prescribed Fire Laboratory course.
It should have two parts:
Part A. Theory (mostly but not only)
• Introduction to Fire Ecology. Fire as a disturbance
• Fire Ecology of local plant species
• History of PB
• Fire behavior
• Monitoring and Assessment of Fire Effects
• Fire Weather
• Prescribed Burning Plan: principles
• Assessment of the degree of complexity of a given burn and how to address it
• Prescribed burns as the only legal opportunities for fire suppression training with real fire.
Part B. Practice (mostly but not only)
• Fire Ignition Patterns. Directing Flame Spread. A fire-line being sucked by a previous one. Fire Surgery: How to Control Flame Length
• PB Related Software – Nexus, Behave-Plus, ...
• Details in specific Prescribed Burning Windows
• Workers Safety Issues: fire engines and hand tools.
• Leadership for Fire boss and Ignition Boss.
• How to gain social acceptability of prescribed burning: Case studies
• Fire Paradox project (2006-2010) demonstration sites
• Cost issues in PB: Case studies
• Case studies: Detailed assessments on selected PB.
• Prescribed Burning Practice (extensive training): at least five days burning.
University Level Training Systems in Fire Science and Management to develop knowledge, skills and abilities to solve the "Fire Paradox" at European level
More information on the list of courses on Fire Paradox towards University Level diploma
University Level Training Systems in Fire Science and Management - http//www.fireparadox.org
Online Multimedia Plateform : Prototype